For our latest cake smash session we decided to get crafty and make some flowers for the background. We were so happy with the final outcome. These are a great way to decorate for a little girls birthday party. Its a similar tutorial to that of making paper pom poms.
If you want to try making these flowers yourself, follow my step by step guide and we would love to see photos of yours.
Step by step:
1. Pick some pretty tissue paper, you will want 2 yellow sheets for the center and 4 sheets for the petals. Lay the sheets of tissue in a pile as neatly as possible.
2. Fold all the sheets over at the same time, you can play with the size of the fold so get different effects but around 5cm is what we used.
3. Now repeat this fold back the other way.
4. Continue with this accordion style folding until you have folded all the paper.
5. Now you can unfold the tissue and separate the yellow pieces from the rest.
6. Fold the yellow tissue back up, it should go back together nice and easily. Fold in half and trim to about half the size it was.
7. Now take a pair of scissors and make lots of long cuts in the yellow tissue.
8. This will now be your flowers center.
9. Now take the coloured tissue and fold it in half, cut the ends into whatever shape you would like your petals to be.
10. Unfold all your tissue paper again and lay the yellow tissue back in the center.
11. Re-fold all the tissue
12.Fold all the tissue in half.
13. Wrap a thin wire through the center of the folded tissue paper and twist to secure.
14. Now start with one side and pull up the tissue whilst fluffing it up, separating each layer to create the center of the flower.
15. Now do the same with the petal layers. You need to me very gentle so as not to rip the tissue paper.
16. Once you have finished once side its time to do the other side.
17. Ta-da you have created your very own tissue paper flower.
You can experiment with different colours and different shapes and sizes. Hope you find this tutorial helpful. lets see your attempts in the comments.